Subject: Re: bug#78489: 30.1.50; Using etags, Ada and xref-find-definitions doesn't find definitions

From: Troy Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2025 16:13:19 -0400

On Thu, May 22, 2025 at 7:31 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the analysis.  Out of curiosity: do you happen to know the
> reasons why Ada tags have these suffixes?  It seems to be Ada-only
> feature, so I wonder what's it about?

The creation of the Ada TAGS support in Emacs predates my involvement,
so unfortunately, I don't know the reasoning behind it, other than
what appears in the manual (wanting to differentiate between symbols
of the same name in different contents).  However, that wouldn't be
unique to Ada.

> I can propose the patch below instead.  Could you please see if it
> solves your problems with Ada tags?

In the testing I've done, this patch works correctly and addresses the
original problem reported.  However, as I explored this a bit further
I discovered another issue that involves completion.  After typing
'Displ' and then `M-x completion-at-point`, the tag including the
suffix is completed (i.e., "Display_Message/p" is inserted into the
buffer, instead of just "Display_Message").