Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 17:44:55 +0200

Robert Pluim (2025/07/21 16:53 +0200):
> Yes. Is there any way of detecting that the screen reader software
> weʼre confusing is running? If so, we could add code to disable the
> use of TAB for that case.

As Samuel has explained, no, there is no need to.

Also, if I understand correctly, we are talking about a behaviour which
is buggy even in contexts beyond accessibility, I think it were rxvt
terminals which were mentionned at the beginning of the thread.

So to me, trying to optimize a code which actually does not quite work
everywhere feels like like taking the problem the wrong way as we should
first make the code work everywhere, and then, potentially, try to
optimize it.

>     Seb> This leads me to the suggestion that the configuration where tab is not
>     Seb> used is the one enabled by default, leaving the configuraitn burden to
>     Seb> those to whom performance matters enough for them to care.
>
> Thatʼs a valid point of view. The Emacs maintainers need to balance
> that against the principle of not breaking backwards compatibility or
> introducing performance regressions unless absolutely necessary.

I trust them on those as I have my self no clue on what are the impacts,
neither on performance nor on backward compatibility. I'd assume that,
of the two, backward compatibility is the most critical. Regarding
performance, compared to what web browsers and graphical user interfaces
do, well, I am not sure a few characters are even worht talkinb about,
even though I do not think that the others doing it in a pour way is an
excuse for us to do likewise. ;)

Seb.