Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 16:53:34 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2025 16:35:05 +0200, Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]> said:

    Seb> Eli Zaretskii (2025/07/21 17:17 +0300):
    >> > Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 16:04:43 +0200
    >> > From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
    >> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
    >> > 	[email-masked]
    >> >
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I apologize in advance if my question is stupid, I have been able to
    >> > follow the discussion only from afar.
    >> >
    >> > Is the proposed solution going to work out of the box, or is theuser who
    >> > will need it going to have to enable it and what we are discussing is
    >> > how easy it will be for that user to discover how?
    >> 
    >> The user will need to customize the option to disable the use of tabs.
    >> 
    >> We plan on describing the option in the Emacs user manual, in a
    >> special section dedicated to accessibility-related features.  I hope
    >> this will be discoverable enough.

    Seb> Okay, thanks. Let me first say that I do  appreciate the effort and
    Seb> sincere will to make tools accessible. Also, I am not especially fond of
    Seb> the posture of the person who is never happy withanything, even when
    Seb> others do efforts. In general I try very hard not to be such a person,
    Seb> but...
    Seb> I would like to emphasize that, generally speaking, ifsomebody is in
    Seb> need of accessibility, one can quite reasonably assume that the life of
    Seb> this person is already rather hard. So I tend to be of the opinion that,
    Seb> as easy as the discoverability of such options may be, it still leaves
    Seb> the «configuration burden»on the shoulders of people who already have a
    Seb> lot to tinker with.

Yes. Is there any way of detecting that the screen reader software
weʼre confusing is running? If so, we could add code to disable the
use of TAB for that case.

    Seb> This leads me to the suggestion that the configuration where tab is not
    Seb> used is the one enabled by default, leaving the configuraitn burden to
    Seb> those to whom performance matters enough for them to care.

Thatʼs a valid point of view. The Emacs maintainers need to balance
that against the principle of not breaking backwards compatibility or
introducing performance regressions unless absolutely necessary.

I honestly donʼt know if the performance optimization makes any
difference these days, Iʼll see if I can come up with some kind of
test (does `baud-rate' actually affect anything?).

    Seb> Apologies if at any stage I misunderstood theproblem, I am not strongly
    Seb> attached to my point of view and ready to change my mind, especially if
    Seb> I am being proven wrong.

No worries. Only the Sith deal in absolutes 😉
Robert
--