Subject: Re: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 16:35:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii (2025/07/21 17:17 +0300):
> > Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 16:04:43 +0200
> > From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
> > 	[email-masked]
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I apologize in advance if my question is stupid, I have been able to
> > follow the discussion only from afar.
> >
> > Is the proposed solution going to work out of the box, or is theuser who
> > will need it going to have to enable it and what we are discussing is
> > how easy it will be for that user to discover how?
>
> The user will need to customize the option to disable the use of tabs.
>
> We plan on describing the option in the Emacs user manual, in a
> special section dedicated to accessibility-related features.  I hope
> this will be discoverable enough.

Okay, thanks. Let me first say that I do  appreciate the effort and
sincere will to make tools accessible. Also, I am not especially fond of
the posture of the person who is never happy withanything, even when
others do efforts. In general I try very hard not to be such a person,
but...
I would like to emphasize that, generally speaking, ifsomebody is in
need of accessibility, one can quite reasonably assume that the life of
this person is already rather hard. So I tend to be of the opinion that,
as easy as the discoverability of such options may be, it still leaves
the «configuration burden»on the shoulders of people who already have a
lot to tinker with.

This leads me to the suggestion that the configuration where tab is not
used is the one enabled by default, leaving the configuraitn burden to
those to whom performance matters enough for them to care.

Apologies if at any stage I misunderstood theproblem, I am not strongly
attached to my point of view and ready to change my mind, especially if
I am being proven wrong.