Subject: Re: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 15:52:31 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 14:12:54 +0200
> 
> >>>>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2025 08:30:44 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
> 
>     Eli> Feel free to suggest a patch with such a variable.
> 
> See below. I have zero ego about the name of the option.

See below.

> Perhaps the "stty -tabs" workaround should go into PROBLEMS.

A good idea, but please add that to PROBLEMS on the release branch
(unlike the rest of the patch).

>     Eli> We should also think how to make the accessibility-related knobs more
>     Eli> discoverable.  Perhaps a new section in the user manual is in order.
> 
> Indeed, I didnʼt find a good place to put this. What else would go in
> this new node apart from this new user option? `text-scale-increase',
> I guess, and discussion of the high-contrast themes.

Also w32-use-visible-system-caret (a link to the relevant appendix
should be enough).  Hopefully, the list will grow.

> (did anyone ever (re-)implement sticky modifier keys for Emacs? Thatʼs
> about the only thing I miss from XEmacs)

Are there nowadays systems which don't have this built-in?

> +** New user option 'tty-allow-tabs-for-motion'.

I suggest 'cursor-motion-use-tabs' instead.

Thanks.