Subject: Re: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 14:24:09 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 20:20:39 +0200
> From: Samuel Thibault <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii, le mar. 22 juil. 2025 16:31:54 +0300, a ecrit:
> > > If I had a text that explicitly says that \t produces content, it
> > > would be way easier to fix this on the vte side. For now, we have
> > > been stuck for a *decade* there.
> > 
> > I think I understand, but the refusal of the vte developers to provide
> > some solution doesn't mean it becomes the responsibility of Emacs to
> > solve that, does it?
> 
> emacs is the only program we know that uses such \t\b trick and thus
> poses cursor position problem.

Emacs is not just any program.  There's nothing wrong in changing the
behavior of vte to cater to Emacs, at least as an option.  You expect
us to do the same.