Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 14:21:22 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 20:08:43 +0200
> From: Samuel Thibault <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii, le mar. 22 juil. 2025 16:42:29 +0300, a ecrit:
> > > Samuel Thibault, le mar. 22 juil. 2025 14:16:02 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > and end up seeing a hardcoded
> > > list of the screen readers that are fortunate enough to be known enough
> > > to get the proper behavior of emacs in vte,
> > 
> > Emacs makes it very easy to modify such databases.  Saying the names
> > of such programs are "hardcoded" is not really accurate for Emacs,
> > because we can expose the list as a user option, so users could easily
> > add/remove programs as needed.
> 
> But it's *really* hard for users to walk the way from "the cursor does
> not move when I press space!" down to "maybe I should try disabling the
> use of tab for optimization". I don't think Sebastien would have found
> such an option or even thought it could have existed.

I disagree that it's so impossibly hard.  We have gobs of similar
knobs in Emacs, and Internet search is a handy tool to make these
discoverable.  We also plan adding a special "Accessibility" section
to the user manual, which will make this even easier.

But anyway, let's postpone this discussion to when (and if) we decide
that the default will be to leave \t\b enabled.  It is not useful to
argue about decisions that are not yet imminent.  We are still
discussing possible ways of disabling \t\b where that matters, which
from my POV is a better alternative.