Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 09:41:14 +0200

Samuel Thibault (2025/07/22 20:08 +0200):
> Eli Zaretskii, le mar. 22 juil. 2025 16:42:29 +0300, a ecrit:
> > > Samuel Thibault, le mar. 22 juil. 2025 14:16:02 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > and end up seeing a hardcoded
> > > list of the screen readers that are fortunate enough to be known enough
> > > to get the proper behavior of emacs in vte,
> >
> > Emacs makes it very easy to modify such databases.  Saying the names
> > of such programs are "hardcoded" is not really accurate for Emacs,
> > because we can expose the list as a user option, so users could easily
> > add/remove programs as needed.
>
> But it's *really* hard for users to walk the way from "the cursor does
> not move when I press space!" down to "maybe I should try disabling the
> use of tab for optimization". I don't think Sebastien would have found
> such an option or even thought it could have existed.

I confirm. And it's not that I am a noob. Well I am, but at the same
time I am also an engineer, so likely what is going to be hard
andpainful for me will be way more so for people who are less into
computers.

And realise that this would be multiplied by the number of software to
use. Just not  viable.