Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 17:49:53 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 16:28:30 +0200
> From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii (2025/07/22 17:25 +0300):
> > > Did you once see one RFC specifying what theprotocol should be depending
> > > on which client or server one is talking to?
> >
> > Yes, of course.  Emacs has several features where we change behavior
> > depending on which external program we are communicating with or using
> > as a sub-process.
> 
> I was asking about RFCs and you respond  Emacs...

But we _are_ talking about Emacs.  Emacs is not driven by RFCs, and
doesn't blindly follow RFCs unless we consider that useful.

I think the fact that Emacs already takes specific programs into
consideration means that such solutions _are_ possible.  If we
conclude that doing so would be a reasonably good solution for this
problem, I don't see why we should not use that.  If such a solution
will make our users happy, why should anyone care whether it follows
some RFC or is pretty?