Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Samuel Thibault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 18:59:40 +0200

Samuel Thibault, le lun. 21 juil. 2025 18:35:53 +0200, a ecrit:
> Robert Pluim, le lun. 21 juil. 2025 18:19:24 +0200, a ecrit:
> > >>>>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2025 18:02:00 +0200, Samuel Thibault <[email-masked]> said:
> > 
> >     Samuel> It is buggy on rxvt, as the very first mail of this whole thread talks
> >     Samuel> about:
> > 
> >     Samuel> https://dept-info.labri.fr/~thibault/tmp/coucou.png
> > 
> >     Samuel> The cursor it two times too big.
> > 
> > Yet another reason to avoid rxvt *ducks*
> 
> Well, one thing is: I was unabled to find an actual reference on what
> *exactly* \t is supposed to be doing for the terminal content.

And don't get me wrong, I tried hard, because that's precisely what I'm
missing for getting fixed the behavior of libvte, the only accessible
graphical terminal. They too are waving hands at optimizations which
are making the content wrong. Both emacs and vte are getting borderline
on the precise semantics of \t, and the problem is that they are on
*different* sides.

Samuel