Subject: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 18:19:24 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2025 18:02:00 +0200, Samuel Thibault <[email-masked]> said:

    Samuel> It is buggy on rxvt, as the very first mail of this whole thread talks
    Samuel> about:

    Samuel> https://dept-info.labri.fr/~thibault/tmp/coucou.png

    Samuel> The cursor it two times too big.

Yet another reason to avoid rxvt *ducks*

    >> This feature is being added for the benefit of users who run
    >> screen-reading software.  I'm not aware of any other reasons to
    >> disable the use of tabs in Emacs cursor motion.

    Samuel> It's actually even slower on my box.

You benchmarked moving by one character. Moving by tabs can move in
multiples of 8 characters, so I doubt itʼs that cut and dried.

My testing shows that itʼs slower to have tabs disabled, in that visiting
src/xdisp.c and pressing C-v repeatedly makes redisplay freeze earlier
than when theyʼre enabled (Emacs eventually catches up).

Robert
--