Subject: Re: bug#78474: 31.0.50; Wrong char insertion in rxvt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 18:51:42 +0300

> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 17:44:55 +0200
> From: Seb Hinderer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Robert Pluim (2025/07/21 16:53 +0200):
> > Yes. Is there any way of detecting that the screen reader software
> > weʼre confusing is running? If so, we could add code to disable the
> > use of TAB for that case.
> 
> As Samuel has explained, no, there is no need to.

I understood that he said there was no means, not that there was no
need.  The need clearly exists -- for Emacs.

> Also, if I understand correctly, we are talking about a behaviour which
> is buggy even in contexts beyond accessibility, I think it were rxvt
> terminals which were mentionned at the beginning of the thread.

I'm not aware of any bugs with this behavior, on any terminal we
support.

This feature is being added for the benefit of users who run
screen-reading software.  I'm not aware of any other reasons to
disable the use of tabs in Emacs cursor motion.