Subject: [bug#78453] [PATCH core-packages-team 0/1] Parallel build of xz-mesboot fails (gets stuck) on core-packages-team.

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 12:38:00 +0200

Hello,

recently I reported xz-mesboot failing to build due to timeout in #75518.
Ludo asked me to provide more info and create a new issue, so here we go.

I am on commit 4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54, currently HEAD
of core-packages-team. I am using
`./pre-inst-env guix build --expression="(@@ (gnu packages commencement) xz-mesboot)" --check --no-grafts`
for the build, in a pure shell (guix shell --pure -m ./manifest.scm). I
am on x86_64.
The same issue was exhibited by the QA on building core-packages-team
branch, timeouting after 24 hours, on all three tries.

The build gets stuck after like 20 minutes. To unstuck it, I added
--cores=1 (disabled parallel build)
It doesn't always get stuck at the same moment, but upon few retries it
never completed with parallel builds enabled.

Alternatively I think I could also
```
guix time-machine --url=https://codeberg.org/guix/guix-mirror \
  --commit=4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54 -- build \
  --expression="(@@ (gnu packages commencement) xz-mesboot)" --check \
  --no-grafts
```
but the issue is that currently a lot of packages cannot be substituted
to actually build guix from this commit.

Sending a patch to disable the parallel build that should resolve this
issue. Not sure about other alternatives

Regards
Rutherther

Rutherther (1):
  gnu: xz-mesboot: Disable parallel build.

 gnu/packages/commencement.scm | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54
--
2.49.0