Subject: bug#78453: closed (Re: [bug#78453] [PATCH core-packages-team 1/1] gnu: xz-mesboot: Disable parallel build.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 23:09:03 +0000

Your bug report

#78453: [PATCH core-packages-team 0/1] Parallel build of xz-mesboot fails (gets stuck) on core-packages-team.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78453: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78453
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#78453] [PATCH core-packages-team 1/1] gnu: xz-mesboot: Disable parallel build.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>, Zheng Junjie <[email-masked]>, Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2025 01:04:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Rutherther <[email-masked]> writes:

> Disables parallel build, because the build gets stuck with parallel builds on
> x86_64 at least.
>
> * gnu/packages/commencement.scm (xz-mesboot): Disable parallel builds.
>
> Change-Id: I0367363cbaaeb0ae5730242254c918cd7ec71478

Finally pushed, thanks!

Subject: [PATCH core-packages-team 0/1] Parallel build of xz-mesboot fails (gets stuck) on core-packages-team.
From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 12:38:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

recently I reported xz-mesboot failing to build due to timeout in #75518.
Ludo asked me to provide more info and create a new issue, so here we go.

I am on commit 4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54, currently HEAD
of core-packages-team. I am using
`./pre-inst-env guix build --expression="(@@ (gnu packages commencement) xz-mesboot)" --check --no-grafts`
for the build, in a pure shell (guix shell --pure -m ./manifest.scm). I
am on x86_64.
The same issue was exhibited by the QA on building core-packages-team
branch, timeouting after 24 hours, on all three tries.

The build gets stuck after like 20 minutes. To unstuck it, I added
--cores=1 (disabled parallel build)
It doesn't always get stuck at the same moment, but upon few retries it
never completed with parallel builds enabled.

Alternatively I think I could also
```
guix time-machine --url=https://codeberg.org/guix/guix-mirror \
  --commit=4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54 -- build \
  --expression="(@@ (gnu packages commencement) xz-mesboot)" --check \
  --no-grafts
```
but the issue is that currently a lot of packages cannot be substituted
to actually build guix from this commit.

Sending a patch to disable the parallel build that should resolve this
issue. Not sure about other alternatives

Regards
Rutherther

Rutherther (1):
  gnu: xz-mesboot: Disable parallel build.

 gnu/packages/commencement.scm | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 4935a8066168c3efc0520d132b6c6a3116eb5d54
--
2.49.0