Subject: Re: bug#78448: 30.1; mml: Produce Unobtrusive Signatures

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 10:07:25 -0400

On Wed 2025-05-28 08:44:21 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [ dkg wrote: ]
>   > > i want to be able to produce an "Unobtrusive Signature" using
>   > > OpenPGP as described in
>   > > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gallagher-email-unobtrusive-signatures/
>
> Can GPG do this job also?  If so, we should by default use GPG to do
> this, unless the user specifies a different command to use.

The proposed patch series explicitly relies on emacs's epg to make the
actual signature.  epg is an emacs library to use GPG.  So i think what
you're asking for is already being done in this series.

For background: GPG typically does not handle e-mails directly.  Rather,
the mail user agent (MUA) needs to figure out how to modify the pending
e-mail message to be able to feed it into GPG as a text or binary
document to make an OpenPGP signature; then the MUA has to restructure
the message again to ship both the substance and the signature into a
single e-mail message.

Regards,

        --dkg