Subject: 30.1; abbrev-edit-save-buffer doesn't reset abbrevs-changed OR...

From: Rick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 18:45:00 -0500

--text follows this line--

Given:
     1) Starting with -Q _does exhibit the problem_ but I can't 
reconfigure just now
     2) I don't use client mode
     3) (save-abbrevs 'silently) ;; is required to exhibit problem

M-x edit-abbrev
Make any arbitrary change
C-x C-s                                    ;; save the changes
M-x  kill-buffer                     ;; optional
M-: abbrevs-changed  yields  t       ;; flag is still set despite 
changes being saved

Click the application [x] (top right corner of the frame) to exit Emacs.

Expectation:
     Since there are no unsaved changes, Emacs should exit normally.
     Even if the changes are somehow technically still considered 
unsaved (although
I can't see why) the save should still be silent.  Or, in the case of 
(save-abbrevs t)
there doesn't seem to be a way to tell that it's the abbrevs that want 
saving so
deciding how to answer is a dilemma.

What actually happens:
     Emacs prompts if I want to save unsaved changes before quitting but 
gives no
indication of what changes are outstanding.  No buffers are visiting 
files so
troubleshooting was arduous until I noticed the correlation with 
abbrev-mode.

As a temporary fix I did this:

(defadvice abbrev-edit-save-buffer (after my-abbrev-edit-save-buffer 
last activate)
   "Insure that abbrevs-changed is reset after abbrevs are saved."
   (setq abbrevs-changed nil)
)

I see no drawbacks to the setq being in abbrev-edit-save-buffer since 
the target
file in that function is the canonical abbrev-file-name. Otherwise, only the
abbrev--possibly-save hook on save-some-buffers-functions ever resets it.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
  cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-05-11 built on lcy02-amd64-059
Repository revision: 9328fd1ab06a1a1f85077fd1caadf9128c90f6c1
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
  --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-xinput2
  --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
  /build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
  /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
  /build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
  'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  -L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/snap/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides 
/snap/emacs/current/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
~/snap/emacs/site-lisp/csharp-mode hides 
/snap/emacs/current/usr/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring emacsbug
message mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tabify help-fns radix-tree cus-edit pp
cus-start time-date flyspell ispell color-theme cl htmlize-view htmlize
cl-macs delsel recentf tree-widget wid-edit cua-base cus-load comp-run
byte-opt advice skeleton hl-line server varlight thingatpt columnize
popup-ruler tabbar easy-mmode ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr filladapt
which-func imenu site-start comp cl-seq comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
comp-common warnings icons subr-x rx gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 324385 16727) (symbols 48 13658 0) (strings 32 63003 3306)
  (string-bytes 1 2388316) (vectors 16 27498)
  (vector-slots 8 302338 10671) (floats 8 536 1) (intervals 56 2340 0)
  (buffers 992 17))