Subject: Re: [bug#78422] [PATCH electronics-team v3] gnu: Add python-apycula.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2025 18:14:37 +0900

Hello,

Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]> writes:

>>mer. 21 mai 2025 at 08:41, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxim,
>
>> I'm fetching from git, and renamed the package to just 'apycula' since
>> it appears intended to be used as tools (commands), not as a library.
>
> Just for the record, this package would allow including support for
> gowin in guix nextpnr package, see [0], implementing a whole guix
> workflow for gowin fpgas.

Neat!

>> The problem now is that to generate the chipdb files we need gowin-eda.
>> Since this would also enable running the test suite, I think gowin-eda
>> should be packaged first and added to the native inputs here:
>
> Sorry, my bad. I assumed pickle files were acceptable for guix, while
> clearly they are not.

They may be!  Since they can be considered data files (thus
non-funtional), the license terms per the GNU FSDG are relaxed: the
license that applies to these may be non-free, and what matters is being
able to redistribute these freely, without any restriction [0].  See the
'Non-functional Data' paragraph at [0].

[0]  https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim