Subject: Re: [bug#78422] [PATCH electronics-team v3] gnu: Add python-apycula.

From: Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2025 10:29:45 +0200

>mer. 21 mai 2025 at 08:41, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Maxim,

> I'm fetching from git, and renamed the package to just 'apycula' since
> it appears intended to be used as tools (commands), not as a library.

Just for the record, this package would allow including support for
gowin in guix nextpnr package, see [0], implementing a whole guix
workflow for gowin fpgas.

> The problem now is that to generate the chipdb files we need gowin-eda.
> Since this would also enable running the test suite, I think gowin-eda
> should be packaged first and added to the native inputs here:

Sorry, my bad. I assumed pickle files were acceptable for guix, while
clearly they are not.

Now, gowin-eda [1] are proprietary tools, for as much as I know, so I’m
afraid this is a closed path for us, unless I figure out a clean way to
obtain the necessary files under a free license. I’ll take the time to investigate,

Thanks again for your help,

C.

[0] https://research.utwente.nl/files/249654527/DeVos2020complete.pdf
[1] https://www.gowinsemi.com/en/support/home/