Subject: bug#78418: 31.0.50; Change in fit-frame-to-buffer doesn't work with transient-posframe

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 09:53:43 +0200

> Thanks, that fixes the tty case, but on the GUI it still looks like in
 > the screen shot I sent.

I checked in this fix so the tty case should be OK now.  As for the GUI
case I'm not sure what to do.  Currently, our size hints are Potemkin
villages and I doubt this will ever change.  What would have to be done
at the very least is:

- Specify resize increments for frames separately so frames meant to be
   fit to their buffers (like those of posframe) could be always fit
   exactly without compromising the behavior for normal frames.  This is
   a non-invasive change but it will take some time until the designers
   of child frame based solutions will pick it up.

- Fix the base and minimum size calculations.  This is an invasive
   change since base and minimum sizes may change all the times and we
   have to inform the WM about each such change.

- Fix gravity.  Currently, all nonX platforms have to separately define
   ten gravity values which are completely useless.  All we pass to a WM
   is NorthWestGravity although other values would make sense for child
   frames.  Changing this is easy but we would have to provide emulations
   for WMs that do not heed size hints which is tedious.

- Fix the XNegative/Negative values.  This way we could leave it to the
   WM to exactly align frames to the right and bottom edges of a display
   or parent frame whenever frame sizes change (recall the examples we
   early tested for how to correctly align initial frames against these
   edges).  Again we would have to emulate that for WMs that ignore size
   hints.

Personally I have no hope that any of these will ever see the light of
the day.

martin