Subject: bug#78415: documentation: -R v -r difference is not just about symlinks

From: Matěj Cepl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 19:38:11 +0000

Hello,

manpage grep(1) describes the difference between -r and -R options thus:

    -r, --recursive
        Read all files under each directory, recursively, following
        symbolic links only if they are on the command line. Note
        that if no file operand is given, grep searches the working
        directory. This is equivalent to the -d recurse option.

    -R, --dereference-recursive
        Read all files under each directory, recursively. Follow all
        symbolic links, unlike -r.

It seems to me that outside of this advertised difference in
following/non-following symlinks, -R option also makes grep to
search through hidden directories. Is it so? Wouldn’t it be a
good idea to put it into a manpage?

Best,

Matěj Cepl

-- 
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, @[email-masked]
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8
 
“Goodbye,” said the fox. “And now here is my secret, a very
simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see
rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
   -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery