Subject: Re: bug#78410: Patch for tiny improve cl wrapper script

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2025 14:07:39 -0600

Hi Nick, Yang,

    IFS=$' \t\n' is a bashism which is not supported in most other shells.
    The original code is portable.  This seems to have nothing to do with
    the rest of your change, so why change it at all?

Indeed, I was going to make the same comment. I won't be installing that
part of the patch.

The functional part of the change, to check for $lib.dll.a files after
$lib.dll.lib files, seems fine (harmless at least) on the face of it,
but Yang, I don't understand your comment:

> I think we'd better also search for lib$lib.dll.a even it's a odd 
> behavior to search lib$lib.a for cl. 

What is "cl"? "Command line"? Doesn't make sense to me.

> However I don't know if that's ok because it doesn't seem to be
> useful.

If it's not useful then why did you take the time to propose the change?
Does anyone/anything actually use .dll.a files? Search engines have very
few, though not zero, results for me. --thanks, karl.