Subject: Re: bug#78356: Broken system and home containers

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 14:32:47 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Rutherther <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> [ruther:~/.setup] main(+68/-13)* 15s ± 
>>> ./target/guix/bin/guix home container -L ./home/modules ./home/home-configuration.scm 
>> guix home: warning: failed to load '(ruther home channels-emacs)':
>> no code for module (ruther home channels-emacs)
>> ruther/home/channels-emacs.scm:1:0: warning: module name (channels) does not match file name 'ruther/home/channels-emacs.scm'
>> hint: File `./home/modules/ruther/home/channels-emacs.scm' should probably start with:
>>
>>      (define-module (ruther home channels-emacs))
>>
>> guix home: warning: ambiguous package specification `font-ubuntu'
>> guix home: warning: choosing [email-masked] from ruther/home/fonts.scm:8:2
>> guix home: error: unshare: 268566528: Invalid argument
>
> Is this from within a container?

No.

>
> Does ‘guix shell -C coreutils’ work?

Yes, shell containers work fine for me, it was just home and system
where I saw an issue. As I pointed out earlier the home container in
guix source tree works for me. So it's triggered by something in my home
setup.

>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[ruther:~/doc/projects/git_clones/guix] issue/78308(9)* 130 ±
> ~/.setup/target/guix/bin/guix home container doc/he-config-bare-bones.scm 
substitute: looking for substitutes on 'https://substitutes.nonguix.org'... 100.0%
substitute: looking for substitutes on 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: looking for substitutes on 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/1d031p7xkmhhcjw4qqs0cwhfh8p004q7-shepherd-timer.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/54csgxblx2i5c8r03ywxpda1wv8blz61-shepherd-transient.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/k8s4j84qrly49hd1adihjcq106hx0a6c-shepherd-log-rotation.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/ni8rlk32hbr7s6gyps0dr0lfy7g9c5dl-shepherd.conf.drv
  /gnu/store/4khnkn4rab0p6vv9h99n9yfmk2lm1jwj-on-first-login.drv
  /gnu/store/6as6qxw72lcr90gml6wk8mjib5rj8j87-files.drv
  /gnu/store/as14p3xl0n3hgxi5lac7w0gdcjilbr2g-provenance.drv
  /gnu/store/dqlgr0jg3kiyzbbc4pmd9vk188sl3kh1-activate.drv
  /gnu/store/nkhmbvy8hkwkafb7fq1f14by0mrnd046-home.drv

building /gnu/store/as14p3xl0n3hgxi5lac7w0gdcjilbr2g-provenance.drv...
building /gnu/store/k8s4j84qrly49hd1adihjcq106hx0a6c-shepherd-log-rotation.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/1d031p7xkmhhcjw4qqs0cwhfh8p004q7-shepherd-timer.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/54csgxblx2i5c8r03ywxpda1wv8blz61-shepherd-transient.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/ni8rlk32hbr7s6gyps0dr0lfy7g9c5dl-shepherd.conf.drv...
building /gnu/store/dqlgr0jg3kiyzbbc4pmd9vk188sl3kh1-activate.drv...
building /gnu/store/6as6qxw72lcr90gml6wk8mjib5rj8j87-files.drv...
building /gnu/store/4khnkn4rab0p6vv9h99n9yfmk2lm1jwj-on-first-login.drv...
building /gnu/store/nkhmbvy8hkwkafb7fq1f14by0mrnd046-home.drv...
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
Symlinking /home/ruther/.bash_profile -> /gnu/store/gghay5fzpad5w7082nnk6z9lj7q00drv-bash_profile... done
Symlinking /home/ruther/.profile -> /gnu/store/vvxqfhlkpi90bgmfh1b03kkwfq7pmfkk-shell-profile... done
Symlinking /home/ruther/.bashrc -> /gnu/store/b9ppn0jdrda5h88mw5x35m2jvms8izw6-bashrc... done
Symlinking /home/ruther/.config/test.conf -> /gnu/store/i8wsnvh1q8lbgyf50vapfsn2rfj7a2nc-tmp-file.txt... done
Symlinking /home/ruther/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf -> /gnu/store/mw4clgkwj3rvlnfv0gd694aabvamr0sa-fonts.conf... done
Symlinking /home/ruther/.config/shepherd/init.scm -> /gnu/store/ysg5icpancicn1hi2gfd1q3xvmmgb8lf-shepherd.conf... done
 done
Finished updating symlinks.

Comparing /gnu/store/non-existing-generation/profile/share/fonts and
          /gnu/store/84kwxidarhpibps26xyqbdpj5lfk1s37-home/profile/share/fonts... done (same)
Evaluating on-change gexps.

On-change gexps evaluation finished.

This is the Z Shell configuration function for new users,
zsh-newuser-install.
You are seeing this message because you have no zsh startup files
(the files .zshenv, .zprofile, .zshrc, .zlogin in the directory
~).  This function can help you with a few settings that should
make your use of the shell easier.

You can:

(q)  Quit and do nothing.  The function will be run again next time.

(0)  Exit, creating the file ~/.zshrc containing just a comment.
     That will prevent this function being run again.

(1)  Continue to the main menu.

--- Type one of the keys in parentheses --- 0
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---