Subject: bug#78355: guix-ownership inconsistent state

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2025 10:20:27 +0200

Hi,

Rutherther <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it would at least be good if there was a script to do what
> guix-ownership does, but force it without the /gnu/store ownership
> check, to make it easier for users to recover. Maybe even an optional argument to
> guix-ownership, where you could `sudo herd start guix-ownership 1` and
> that would force the chown'ing?

There’s +/- a script in the manual (info "(guix) Build Environment
Setup").

>>
>> I don’t see any way around that but perhaps we should warn about it more
>> clearly?
>
> That would definitely be great, I think you can easily oversee that the
> service has started. Now I am not sure if one-shot services are started
> after change when you reconfigure, if they are, I think it's going to be
> a common issue - people reconfigure & reboot! Meaning they will usually
> stop the service, or am I mistaken here?

The one-shot service is restarted upon reconfigure, but one also has to
restart guix-daemon in this case.

>> Doing /gnu/store last is a good idea because it reduces the window
>> during which the inconsistent state could go undetected.
>
> I think it completely removes it. Or why do you think not?

Yes, you’re right, as long as /gnu/store itself is done last.

Ludo’.