Subject: Re: [bug#78334] [PATCH science-team 0/1] Update flint.

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2025 17:52:54 +0200

Hello,

Am Fri, May 09, 2025 at 03:39:18PM +0000 schrieb Greg Hogan:
> Our current version, flint 3.1.2, fails for me with:
>   CC  fft_small/mpn_mul.c
> In file included from src/fft_small/mpn_mul.c:17:
> src/fft_small/mpn_mul.c: In function ‘_mpn_from_ffts_8’:
> ./src/crt_helpers.h:120:3: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
>   120 |   __asm__ ("addq %23,%q7\nadcq %21,%q6\nadcq %19,%q5\n\tadcq %17,%q4\n\tadcq %15,%q3\n\tadcq %13,%q2\n\tadcq %11,%q1\n\tadcq %9,%q0"    \

we can update flint, but this message may indicate a different problem,
which surprises me. Flint includes assembly code, but does not use fat
binaries such as gmp. So it is possible that assembly code chosen on the
build machine (avx or whatever) is not executable on the machine where
you run your own code linked to flint.

But we build the package with
   #:configure-flags '("--disable-assembly")
so the problem should not occur.

Maybe it is indeed a bug in the version we currently package.

Andreas