Subject: Re: bug#7833: automake uses two different values for DejaGNU srcdir

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 18:10:27 +0100

Hello Peter, all, and sorry for the delay,

* Peter Breitenlohner wrote on Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 04:22:32PM CET:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> 
> >Through testing I found out again that DejaGNU does not cope with white
> >space in absolute directory names anyway, regardless of srcdir being
> >relative or absolute.  That obviates my first point.  Remains only the
> >fairly minor src+build-tree relocatability point.

> I remember a problem with gcc's 'make check' that could be related.  Some
> tests failed when `pwd -L` was different from `pwd -P`, presumably due to
> the two different srcdir's.
> 
> I could avoid this problem by first doing 'cd `pwd -P`'.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I asked on the bug-dejagnu list back then,
and have an answer now:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.dejagnu.bugs/345/focus=348

I think we should change Automake semantics here and provide a relative
srcdir only.  That would mean, the first patch I suggested in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.bugs/5230/focus=5464

Stefano, would you like to rewrite your testsuite addition for this?

Thanks,
Ralf