Subject: bug#7833: automake uses two different values for DejaGNU srcdir

From: Ian Lance Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:52:09 -0800

When automake is configured to use DejaGNU, it uses two different values
for srcdir.  There are two different cases in lib/am/dejagnu.am:

The first is in check-DEJAGNU:

check-DEJAGNU: site.exp
## Life is easiest with an absolute srcdir, so do that.
	srcdir=`$(am__cd) $(srcdir) && pwd`; export srcdir; \

This value is passed to runtest with a --srcdir option.

The second is in site.exp:

site.exp: Makefile
	@echo 'Making a new site.exp file...'
	@echo '## these variables are automatically generated by make ##' >site.tmp
	@echo '# Do not edit here.  If you wish to override these values' >>site.tmp
	@echo '# edit the last section' >>site.tmp
	@echo 'set srcdir $(srcdir)' >>site.tmp

This value is read by DejaGNU after option processing is complete,
effectively overwriting the value passed with the --srcdir option.

The value of srcdir stored in site.exp should be an absolute path, just
like the value passed to runtest via --srcdir.

Ian