Subject: bug#78357: closed (Re: bug#78323: Regression in case-insensitive filename completion)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 17:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78323: 31.0.50; read file name completion generates wrong file name

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78323: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78323
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78323: Regression in case-insensitive filename completion
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 20:04:57 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 11:46:57 -0400
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> >> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> >> BTW, the patch I posted has the wrong commit message but is otherwise
> >> correct.  Assuming there's review feedback, I'll correct the commit
> >> message in the next version.
> >
> > Please do submit a correct patch, so we could resolve this regression.
> >
> > Thanks.
> 
> Here is the version with a correct commit message.  (I also added some
> comments in the test)

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; read file name completion generates wrong file name
From: Dieter Deyke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 May 2025 19:55:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am on Debian with a case sensitve file system. I have a directory
named "~/media/SANSA CLIPP". After starting emacs -Q and setting the
option Read File Name Completion Ignore Case to t,
I type C-x d ~/media/sa then press the Tab key. Emacs completes the
file name to ~/media/saNSA CLIPP/ which does not exist. In previous
versions of emacs the "sa" would have been corrected to "SA".

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-05-09 built on deyke2
Repository revision: e929d6df772e19d29b6e396e3a3330d4c9d7fe21
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM
XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs time-date
subr-x etags fileloop generator xref project byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile ring tabify apropos cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit
warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79089 9698) (symbols 48 8520 0) (strings 32 21152 1757)
 (string-bytes 1 526951) (vectors 16 14217)
 (vector-slots 8 151635 12490) (floats 8 29 1) (intervals 56 377 0)
 (buffers 1064 13))

-- 
Dieter Deyke
mailto:[email-masked]
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys B116EA20