Subject: bug#78321: closed (Re: bug#78321: libtool fails to run ldconfig correctly on GNU/Linux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 16:27:05 +0000

Your bug report

#78321: libtool fails to run ldconfig correctly on GNU/Linux

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78321: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78321
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78321: libtool fails to run ldconfig correctly on GNU/Linux
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 19:26:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A documentation patch has been applied to the development branch [1].

[1] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=ad964ee1f5382075b195313d969fb0fe6d83c8e9

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: libtool fails to run ldconfig correctly on GNU/Linux
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2025 16:51:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm following up on
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2014-05/msg00024.html

I just ran into the same problem: a user reported they had to run
`ldconfig` manually after running `[sudo] make install` on one of my
projects (Free Recode, formerly GNU Recode). I was surprised, as I thought
the autotools ran ldconfig automatically. They do! But on GNU/Linux systems
they run `ldconfig -n`, which does not update the cache, as it implies the
-N option. This means that libraries are not found after installation.

I checked git, and this usage goes back to the initial commit. I wonder
whether something changed since then. Mostly obviously, the -n flag causes
ldconfig to process only the directories specified on the command line,
which I guess is desirable. I can't see a way to update the cache while
retaining this behaviour of -n, but maybe that doesn't make sense?

Anyway, it seems that either we should simply remove the -n flag from the
ldconfig invocation (as on BSD), or document that users will most likely
need to run ldconfig themselves after installation (which seems a shame).

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org