Subject: bug#78321: libtool fails to run ldconfig correctly on GNU/Linux

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 10:11:27 +0100

On Mon, 12 May 2025 at 20:08, Ileana Dumitrescu <
[email-masked]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

> This was also previously reported in bug#30402 [1]

By me!

Updating the shared library cache from scratch by executing ldconfig in
> libtool could cause a lot of headache for developers,

It would be good to briefly say why it's a problem. (I don't know, and
Debian seems to run ldconfig whenever I install or uninstall a shared
library, so it doesn't seem a big deal at least there.)

The following could be added:
>
> """
> After a 'make install' for many GNU/Linux systems, 'ldconfig LIBDIR' may
> need to be executed to help locate newly installed libraries, but you
> should consult with a system administrator before updating the shared
> library cache as this should be done with great care and consideration.
> """
>

Again, it would be good if possible to briefly outline potential problems.
Then the informational message is pretty much complete: it will

   - explains that users may now need to run ldconfig
   - gives them the command to run
   -
*says why this might not be a good idea (this bit currently missing!) *
   - explains what won't work until the command is run

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org