Subject: [bug#78308] [PATCH 0/9] VTE integration support / Shell startup files refactor

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2025 09:24:28 +0900

Hi Rutherther,

Rutherther <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried playing with this a bit.
>
> I would like to point out that maybe it would be better to add extension
> of the service to the manual rather than creation of the service. Most
> users will be using profile-d service as they are using
> desktop-services. So instead of (service-type etc-profile-d-service-type
> ...) something like (simple-service 'my-simple-profile-file
> etc-profile-d-service-type ...).

Currently only etc-bashrc-d-service-type is used in %base-services, so
we can't extend etc-profile-d-service-type, since it doesn't exist in
the base templates.

> As for the bashrc and profile d, it seems working right and I don't have
> any more comments apart from documentation changes.

I'm pushing a v3 with the news entry you had suggested in a minute.

> As for vte, I am not really sure what the integration does and have
> difficulty searching for the features. All I can get is that it
> integrates with terminal and makes it better, but not in what way. As I
> am quite a minimal, using dwl and foot, I have no idea how does Gnome
> and Gnome Terminal integrate nor how to check if it does the right thing
> with this addition.

The main thing for me is having a consistent title for the tab in gnome
console or gnome terminal applications.  It also preserves the current
working directory when opening new tabs, and offers other features.  I
guess the best way to know what other features it provides is by reading
the vte.sh script or the source of libvte.

Thanks for reviewing/testing!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim