Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] VTE integration support / Shell startup files refactor

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2025 15:54:19 +0200

Hi,

I've tried playing with this a bit.

I would like to point out that maybe it would be better to add extension
of the service to the manual rather than creation of the service. Most
users will be using profile-d service as they are using
desktop-services. So instead of (service-type etc-profile-d-service-type
...) something like (simple-service 'my-simple-profile-file
etc-profile-d-service-type ...).

As for the bashrc and profile d, it seems working right and I don't have
any more comments apart from documentation changes.

As for vte, I am not really sure what the integration does and have
difficulty searching for the features. All I can get is that it
integrates with terminal and makes it better, but not in what way. As I
am quite a minimal, using dwl and foot, I have no idea how does Gnome
and Gnome Terminal integrate nor how to check if it does the right thing
with this addition.

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> A full world rebuild seems very expensive for this change alone.  The
> only thing this switch does is cause Bash to source /etc/bashrc when it
> also sources also ~/.bashrc.  Since there is no /etc/bashrc in the build
> container, we shoud be good in terms of not breaking anything build wise.
>

I got a bit confused I think. The thing is that I was thinking about
other packages using bash. But as bash is not a library, but an
executable, all should really be fine.

>
>> I don't think removing the PS1 from guix home bashrc is appropriate. I think
>> the PS1 is mostly for foreign distros, not for Guix System, it's even
>> mentioned in the comment that it's for distros that don't provide a good PS1.
>
> It's not removed, but moved, as the change log says for the "system:
> Factorize bashrc default configuration." commit:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> * gnu/home/services/shells.scm (add-bash-configuration): Do not set PS1, now
> part of %default-bashrc.
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Guix home uses the %default-bashrc, so it's covered.  It's something
> I've tried paying attention to, it's good you saw that too.

Ah, I've missed that.

WDYT, thanks
Rutherther