Subject: [bug#78308] [PATCH 0/9] VTE integration support / Shell startup files refactor

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 10:52:16 +0200

Hi Maxim,

thank you for this. I think it's important for users to be able to
extend their system profile and bashrc files, currently it was hard to
do. Basically the only way was to modify etc-service-type in
essential-services, removing the profile and bashrc completely, and
adding your own contents.

I have a few comments that I am posting before I actually tested it just
based on the changes:

I think that the docs for etc-profile-d-service-type could be more
specific about the files accepted - that only .sh files are going to
have some effect. Additionally the example plain-file is wrong,
plain-file accepts two arguments, name and content. Here the name is
quite important as it has to have the .sh extension for the file to be sourced.

As for the bash modification, is is a good idea to go through grafts?
Aren't grafts mainly meant for security fixes as to no changes are
introduced? How can we make sure this change is not going to break any
of the packages using bash? I understand we cannot rebuild the whole
world via this patch series if it is to be applied to master, but this
doesn't feel right, maybe those changes to bash should go on a team branch?

It's not super important, but do you happen to know why bash-completion
package provides profile.d directory for bash_completion.sh that should
actually be bashrc? Maybe it should be in etc/bashrc.d output dir
instead - that the package should be adapted?

I don't think removing the PS1 from guix home bashrc is appropriate. I think
the PS1 is mostly for foreign distros, not for Guix System, it's even
mentioned in the comment that it's for distros that don't provide a good PS1.
Similar question goes to removing sourcing of /etc/bashrc. Was this
because of Guix System or because of foreign distros? I don't know here.

Note that users not using %base-services are going to get no bash
completions after this update. Maybe there should be news entry about
the bashrc-d and profile-d services?

Regards
Rutherther