Subject: bug#78304: 31.0.50; Support --early-eval on the command line

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2025 15:51:22 -0400

On Thu, May 15, 2025, 3:08 PM Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> That's true enough, but this is not about my site - the only reason site
> files came up is because Eli mentioned them.  Both of the use cases I
> mentioned (setting load-path-filter-function, using a script to run a
> reduced-functionality Emacs) should work for users anywhere without
> requring them to compile their own Emacs.
>

The only thing I can suggest is working to ensure redumping is functional,
since (rereading the email chain) you seem to be working on specialized
instances of emacs.  But you don't even really need that.

You can make an installation script that either redumps or just dumps, you
don't have to recompile anything.  Just install a script that calls emacs
with the explicit flag for the dump file the installation script
generates.  Everything necessary will already be available with the system,
dumping just loads the stuff you specify, then does a specialized garbage
collection and saves the result.  Pretty much any reasonable package
management system should allow you to do what's needed at install time.

I think you'll find that a much easier path to your goal than convincing
Eli to add another feature to maintain.

Lynn