Subject: Re: bug#78304: 31.0.50; Support --early-eval on the command line

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2025 09:41:31 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 13:56:08 -0400
>> 
>> - I want to run with -q for the usual reasons of ignoring the user's
>>   early-init.el and init.el.
>> 
>> - While running with -q, I want to do things which can only be done with
>>   early-init.el, like configuring package initialization,
>>   load-path-filter-function, or the initial frame parameters.
>
> Why do you want to do that under -q?

Two concrete use cases:

- Since load-path-filter-function speeds up all subsequent loads, it
  needs to be set at early-init.el time to have maximum effect, but I
  want to also be able to use it and test it with emacs -q.

- Context: I'm developing some scripts to run Emacs in a simple
  reduced-functionality mode, which provide access to just one buffer
  running in a specific major mode, with the goal of making Emacs
  features accessible to users who don't currently use Emacs.  For
  example, vc-dir is generally useful, so a script to open Emacs running
  vc-dir on its own.  (These scripts are similar to things like
  https://github.com/maio/smagit and
  https://github.com/alphapapa/magit.sh )

  These scripts run with -q, but I need to be able to configure things
  about the initial frame, which can only be done with early-init.el.