Subject: 31.0.50; Support --early-eval on the command line

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2025 17:34:33 -0400

There are many useful things which can only be done by code in
early-init.el.  Such things can't be done by code on the command line,
because --eval runs after init.el has been loaded - much too late to,
for example, configure package.el or set initial frame parameters.

We should add an --early-eval argument to allow doing things which need
to run at early-init time on the command line.

I'm happy to add this if that sounds reasonable to others.

(One extremely hacky alternative is to use --init-directory to point the
user-emacs-directory to a directory which contains an early-init.el
file, then reset user-emacs-directory back to its normal value at the
start of that early-init.el.  But that's quite fragile and much harder)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 38, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.12) of 2025-05-01 built on igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: fee7b40efadc3e3ebc62f1f845837cc97bd84606
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.10 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-gif=no'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring emacsbug
lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp-run bytecomp
byte-compile comp-common rx warnings icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar regexp-opt rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89189 8663) (symbols 48 6857 0) (strings 32 24530 1634)
 (string-bytes 1 814844) (vectors 16 15667)
 (vector-slots 8 187526 6377) (floats 8 35 1) (intervals 56 408 19)
 (buffers 984 12))