Subject: bug#78292: gdm non-responsive

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2025 21:16:47 +0900

Hi Christopher
,
Christopher Howard <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Otherwise, you'll need to gather more data about what is going wrong
>> perhaps by visiting TTY1 (Control + Alt + F1), or logging in TTY2 and
>> reading /var/log/messages or 'dmesg'.  There's also /var/log/gdm/*.
>
> Are these files attached to my original bug report? I thought I attached them already.

Ah, right, apologies.  I've now taken a look at them, and can't see
anything standing out.

> As mentioned, gdm becomes non-responsive in the sense that none of the
> gdm buttons or menus can be activated or manipulated. The screen
> appears frozen. However, I can still move the mouse pointer around,
> like X is still working. Also, I can switch to any of the virtual
> terminals and log into them. In fact, right now I am writing this
> e-mail using Emacs running in a virtual terminal.

I see.  Have you tried switching to Wayland to see if that would resolve
the issue?  Perhaps gdm has regressed with Xorg, given it's not that
common a setup anymore where GDM is typically used (GNOME) ?

Do you know of a way to reproduce the issue, e.g. using a virtual
machine?  I looked for upstream issues, and saw a few reports of hangs,
but nothing that happens systematically like yours with your specific
setup [0].

[0]  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdm/-/issues/?sort=created_date&state=opened&search=frozen%20&first_page_size=20

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim