Subject: Re: bug#78292: gdm non-responsive

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2025 09:12:45 +0900

Hi,

Christopher Howard <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Do you have good 3D support from your driver/GPU?  GDM requires OpenGL
>> these days, IIUC.  It's support slow/barely usable in QEMU unless using
>> OpenGL support for example.
>
> My gfx card is very old, so there could be issues there I suppose,
> though it does support OpenGL and in the past I've used it for 3D
> gaming like Warzone2000. Every time I do a guix upgrade, another 3D
> game stops working, or has issues.

OK.  I'm not sure about that, my experience is that at times new kernel
introduced regressions with my previously dated GPU (nvidia 8800 GTS),
but otherwise it was reliable.

There is a bug about mesa loading cached compiled shaders from a
previous version that crashes it, but I don't think that's related here.
Also, the GDM saved files are kept on a tmpfs because in the past
ownership issues would break logins.  A reboot would cure this, if
that's the issue.

Otherwise, you'll need to gather more data about what is going wrong
perhaps by visiting TTY1 (Control + Alt + F1), or logging in TTY2 and
reading /var/log/messages or 'dmesg'.  There's also /var/log/gdm/*.

If switching TTY doesn't work, consider enabling SSH and connecting to
the machine remotely to retrieve the logs.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim