Subject: bug#7828: documentation about '-d' in AM_YFLAGS is suboptimal (was: bug#7828: Fwd: header file from yacc doesn't go to a distribution (automake 1.11))

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:36:08 +0100

Hello Юрий.

In the future, please don't open a new thread to reply to a message of a
previous thread, as this will create a new unrelated bug report in the
Automake bug tracker.  Unless, of course, you deliberately want to open
a new bug report that has originated from a previous discussion -- this
is fully legitimate.

Thank you.

That said ...

On Wednesday 12 January 2011, Юрий Пухальский wrote:
> Package isn't enclosed because otherwise the message doesn't get through.
> 
> > Finally had time to make some tests, and now i've got it:)
> >
> > When i set AM_YFLAGS to -dt it doesn't distribute a header, probably
> > because it's searching for -d to be alone.
> > When i set AM_YFLAGS = -d -t, it works.
> >
... I agree the documentation might be clearer about this.

Ralf, what about the attached patch (for 'yacc-work' and 'maint')?
Tested with "make pdf ps dvi html MAKEINFOFLAGS=--no-split".  The
output in all forms looked fine.

Regards,
  Stefano
From cf43febea57a25173e665e2c610b1ccafdd26b01 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:23:59 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] docs: clustered '-d' not recognized in YFLAGS
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

This commit fixes automake bug#7828.

* doc/automake.texi (Yacc and Lex): Tell that automake recognizes
'-d' in AM_YFLAGS only if it's not clusterd with other options.
From a report by Юрий Пухальский.
---
 ChangeLog         |    8 ++++++++
 doc/automake.texi |    7 ++++++-
 2 files changed, 14 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/ChangeLog b/ChangeLog
index bf44677..eebc559 100644
--- a/ChangeLog
+++ b/ChangeLog
@@ -1,3 +1,11 @@
+2011-01-12   Stefano Lattarini  <[email-masked]>
+
+	docs: clustered '-d' not recognized in YFLAGS
+	This change fixes automake bug#7828.
+	* doc/automake.texi (Yacc and Lex): Tell that automake recognizes
+	'-d' in AM_YFLAGS only if it's not clusterd with other options.
+	From a report by Юрий Пухальский.
+
 2011-01-02   Stefano Lattarini  <[email-masked]>
 
 	* NEWS: Fix typo (forgotten word).
diff --git a/doc/automake.texi b/doc/automake.texi
index 43ad581..1561ad5 100644
--- a/doc/automake.texi
+++ b/doc/automake.texi
@@ -6078,7 +6078,12 @@ intended for the @file{Makefile.am} author.
 @code{AM_YFLAGS} is usually used to pass the @option{-d} option to
 @command{yacc}.  Automake knows what this means and will automatically
 adjust its rules to update and distribute the header file built by
-@samp{yacc -d}.  What Automake cannot guess, though, is where this
+@samp{yacc -d}@footnote{Please note that @command{automake} recognizes
+@option{-d} in @code{AM_YFLAGS} only if it is not clustered with other
+options; for example, it won't be recognized if @code{AM_YFLAGS} is
+@samp{-dt}, but it will be if @code{AM_YFLAGS} is @samp{-d -t} or
+@samp{-t -d}.}.
+What Automake cannot guess, though, is where this
 header will be used: it is up to you to ensure the header gets built
 before it is first used.  Typically this is necessary in order for
 dependency tracking to work when the header is included by another
-- 
1.7.2.3