Subject: bug#78263: [PATCH 1/3] Ignore OSC sequences in term instead of printing them

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2025 18:55:06 +0300

> Cc: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>, Per Bothner <[email-masked]>
> From: Stephane Zermatten <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 05 May 2025 17:30:35 +0300
> 
> This change detects OSC sequences and ignores them. This is what's
> normally expected and avoids strange outputs.
> 
> Starting with version 4, the fish shell has started sending out OSC
> sequences by default, which looks pretty bad on term. This change avoids
> this particular problem.
> 
> This is PATCH 1/3, because I'd like to propose making it possible to
> handle OSC sequences in term in follow-up changes. Emacs already has
> handlers for OSC sequences in ansi-osc, why not make use of them?

I indeed think that teaching Emacs about these sequences is better
than filtering them out.  Since you seem to think the same, and will
follow up with patches to that effect, why do we need this patch at
all?