Subject: Re: bug#7825: Cannot return from the debugger

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:56:30 +0100

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you two are saying or how that relates to
>> the problem at hand, but what a decent Lisp system usually does when an
>> error happens inside the debugger is just add another debugging layer on
>> the stack, i.e. start the debugger on the "newer" error; then when you
>> exit the inner level, you end up back debugging the outer level.
>
> That's not returning from the debugger, that's throwing to some outer
> level, i.e. the context of the error is destroyed in any case.

Yes. What I was trying to say is that when you're doing something inside
the debugger and an error occurs, another debugger (level) should be
started instead of invalidating what you had been doing. The case I bump
into most often is stepping in Edebug -- when an error occurs, it is
just displayed in the message area, followed by "Cannot return from the
debugger in an error", and that's it, no matter what your
`debug-on-error' settings were.

  Štěpán