Subject: Re: bug#78221: 31.0.50; Improving *-change-functions notifications

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2025 14:38:05 -0400

>> I wonder if someone actually knows of a `*-change-function` which wants
>> to be triggered when text-properties are modified.  I'm not 100% sure
>> that I've never seen such a thing, but at least I can't remember seeing
>> (nor writing) such a thing.
> Me neither.

🙁

>> Are these property-modifications spread all over the place or can you
>> point us to a few important places where they happen?
>
> - org-edit-latex-fragment

Hmm... AFAICT it adds text properties to a string, not to a buffer.

> - org-display-custom-time

AFAICT this is called exclusively from font-lock, so
`inhibit-modifications-hooks` should always be set already.

> - org-agenda (in special org-agenda buffers). not relevant to
>   *-change-functions Org mode uses though

`org-agenda.el` didn't quite fit on my screen (🙂), so I didn't
investigate, especially since you say it's not directly relevant.

        Stefan