Subject: bug#78221: 31.0.50; Improving *-change-functions notifications

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2025 17:23:59 +0000

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wonder if someone actually knows of a `*-change-function` which wants
> to be triggered when text-properties are modified.  I'm not 100% sure
> that I've never seen such a thing, but at least I can't remember seeing
> (nor writing) such a thing.

Me neither.
Asking LLMs will just make them hallucinate :)

> Are these property-modifications spread all over the place or can you
> point us to a few important places where they happen?

- org-edit-latex-fragment
- org-display-custom-time
- org-agenda (in special org-agenda buffers). not relevant to
  *-change-functions Org mode uses though

> I'm curious to know as well how those deal with other related "usually
> undesired" effects, such as modifying the `buffer-modified-p` flag,
> stashing the property modifications into the `buffer-undo-list`, or
> signaling errors when the buffer is read-only.

Not very well usually, until someone files a bug report.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode maintainer,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>