Subject: bug#78221: 31.0.50; Improving *-change-functions notifications

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2025 16:34:12 +0000

Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Or we could rely on a (symbol) property being set on the functions
>   added to `*-change-functions` to tell whether they want to know about
>   changes to text-properties or not.
>   Or maybe a more crude way would be a buffer-local variable controlling
>   whether `*-change-functions` are called for text-property changes.

Or pass a 4th parameter to *-change-functions indicating whether the
change involved actual text edits or it only touched text-properties.

Org mode currently has to resort to
(eq org-fold-core--last-buffer-chars-modified-tick (buffer-chars-modified-tick))
checks to filter out changes in text properties.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode maintainer,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>