Subject: RE: bug#7822: 24.0.50; `fit-window-to-buffer': take display artefacts into account

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

>  > `fit-window-to-buffer' does not take any display artefacts into
>  > account, except for visual (screen) lines.  The enhancement would
>  > be to have it do so.
> 
> As with emacs-24 `fit-window-to-buffer' does so.  Bug closed.

Thanks.

But is this enhancement request really fulfilled?  The paragraph
after the intro one that you quote from the ER specifically
states the requirement:

  How much it tries to do so should be under programmer
  control, so that, e.g., one could tell it (e.g. via a new
  optional parameter) not to take any display stuff into account 
  (i.e., to treat the buffer content as just plain text with a
  fixed-width font of the current char size).

And the ER explicitly refers to this emacs-devel thread for
details: "`fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed'?", 2011-01-10:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-01/msg00323.html

And of course, how users can control the behavior needs to be
well documented.

Is this ER really addressed?  I don't have a Windows binary
more recent than 2014-08-15 to test (they are no longer being
built, it seems).  If so, then yes this should be closed.

If not then it should not be closed, even if it is good that
some progress has apparently been made.  Thanks.