Subject: bug#7822: 24.0.50; `fit-window-to-buffer': take display artefacts into account

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:21:26 -0800

Enhancement request.
 
See emacs-devel thread "`fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed'?",
2011-01-10:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-01/msg00323.html
 
`fit-window-to-buffer' does not take any display artefacts into account,
except for visual (screen) lines.  The enhancement would be to have it
do so.
 
How much it tries to do so should be under programmer control, so that,
e.g., one could tell it (e.g. via a new optional parameter) not to take
any display stuff into account (i.e., to treat the buffer content as
just plain text with a fixed-width font of the current char size).
 
See the emacs-devel thread for more info about this.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-01-03 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'