Subject: bug#78186: closed (Re: bug#78186: 31.0.50; Register Selection Broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 May 2025 08:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78186: 31.0.50; Register Selection Broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78186: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78186
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78186: 31.0.50; Register Selection Broken
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 May 2025 11:00:44 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 12:39:59 -0400
> From:  Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Actually, this appears to be broken with everything but the default value?
> 
> Yes, the problem was in `register--jumpable-p` which always
> returned nil.
> I pushed the patch to `master` which should fix it.

No further comments, so I presume the problem was indeed fixed, and
I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; Register Selection Broken
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 12:14:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If the user has customised `register-use-preview', selecting a register,
e.g. via `jump-to-register' errors with "No suitable register".  It
appears this due to changes to recent changes in register.el (I believe
b2904e06 is specifically the critical commit), so I've CC'ed Stefan in
case he has anything to add.

To reproduce the issue from master, start "emacs -Q", evaluate

  (setopt register-use-preview 'never)
  (set-register ?h  '(file . "~"))

and then invoke `jump-to-register'.  This should fail. 

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 28, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2025-05-01 built on icterid
Repository revision: 5920f749a70383a085331062c7e16a6b92afb39d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT
MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2
XPM XRANDR LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Elisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  auto-save-visited-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/git-commit-3.3.0/git-commit hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/magit-4.1.0/git-commit
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/magit-4.1.0/magit-autorevert hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/magit-section-4.1.0/magit-autorevert
~/.config/emacs/site-lisp/typo hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/typo/typo
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/sweeprolog-0.27.6/theme-loaddefs hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort writegood-mode ecomplete mail-extr emacsbug pulse color
xref edebug cl-print debug backtrace vc-backup copyright qp gnus-async
gnus-draft gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win char-fold
misearch multi-isearch smerge-mode whitespace vc-git bug-reference
find-func shortdoc comp-common help-fns flyspell ispell tramp-adb
checkdoc flymake yasnippet-snippets yasnippet noutline outline init
repeat shell-command+ thingatpt dired-x time gnus nnheader range
diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl log-view log-edit message sendmail
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader add-log pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode hippie-exp winner
windmove project elec-pair tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp rx
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs
recentf tree-widget saveplace savehist pixel-scroll cua-base xt-mouse
typo cus-edit pp wid-edit icomplete cus-load .auto-site compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring loaddefs-gen
lisp-mnt radix-tree site-lisp setup auctex-autoloads tex-site
auto-header-autoloads autocrypt-autoloads avy-autoloads
bash-completion-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
do-at-point-autoloads flymake-proselint-autoloads focus-autoloads
forth-mode-autoloads git-commit-autoloads gnu-apl-mode-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads gtags-mode-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads finder-inf
htmlize-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
proof-general-autoloads proof-site proof-autoloads setup-autoloads
shell-command+-autoloads site-lisp-autoloads slime-autoloads warnings
macrostep-autoloads sml-mode-autoloads sp-tutor-autoloads
sweeprolog-autoloads typo-autoloads vc-backup-autoloads
vc-fossil-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads writegood-mode-autoloads
xref-union-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-extra help-mode icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 301781 602075) (symbols 48 26072 3)
 (strings 32 93866 6760) (string-bytes 1 2467431) (vectors 16 51174)
 (vector-slots 8 1241095 158126) (floats 8 506 96)
 (intervals 56 3445 1563) (buffers 992 28))

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic on icterid