Subject: bug#78180: 31.0.50; Since ab71699e5f2, global value of post-command-hook is useless

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2025 06:54:08 +0000

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just to be sure: you are aware that in the normal case the global hook
> binding will always be executed (additionally), as long as the symbol t
> is not removed from the local hook binding, as explained in
> (info "(elisp) Setting Hooks")?

I was not aware! That's embarrassing.

Now, I see

     If the hook variable is buffer-local, the buffer-local variable
     will be used instead of the global variable.  However, if the
     buffer-local variable contains the element ‘t’, the global hook
     variable will be run as well.

IMHO, that detail might look good in 24.1 Hooks section itself, as it
appears to be important. But maybe it is just me who did not notice
this.

In any case, there is no bug in what I reported. Just my
misunderstanding. Feel free to close.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode maintainer,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>