Subject: bug#78157: 31.0.50; 3.2 Install a Function Definition

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2025 09:37:45 +0300

merge 78157 78156
thanks

> From: badli al rashid <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2025 14:13:54 +0800
> 
> error when installing the second version of the function from elisp
> introduction to programming
> 
>      (defun multiply-by-seven (number)       ; Second version.
>        "Multiply NUMBER by seven."
>        (+ number number number number number number number))

I'm quite sure this is the same problem as in the previous bug#78156
which you reported.

Moreover, given this:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable number)
>   (* 7 number)
>   (progn (* 7 number))
>   eval((progn (* 7 number)) t)

it looks like you didn't even install the new definition of the
multiply-by-seven function, because Emacs is still using the old
definition.

These are all user mistakes typical for a newcomer to Emacs Lisp.

There's nothing wrong with reporting these issues and asking for help
and advice, but this list is not the proper forum for that.  Given
your level of knowledge of Emacs Lisp, may I suggest that you instead
post to the [email-masked] mailing list, whose purpose is
explicitly to help newcomers to Emacs?  If the discussion on that list
indicates that there's a real bug in Emacs or its documentation,
please submit a bug report with all the details using report-emacs-bug.

Thanks.