Subject: bug#78156: 31.0.50; 3.2 Install a Function Definition

From: badli al rashid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2025 14:01:30 +0800

--text follows this line--
>From the elisp intro book, 3.2 Install a Function Definition.
An error occur when installing / running (C-x C-e) the function below

     (defun multiply-by-seven (number)
       "Multiply NUMBER by seven."
       (* 7 number))

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable number)
  (* 7 number)
  (progn (* 7 number))
  eval((progn (* 7 number)) t)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)()
  handler-bind-1(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)
(error) eval-expression--debug)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (void-variable definition.) :backtrace-base
eval-expression--debug)
  eval-expression--debug((void-variable definition.))
  (progn definition.)
  eval((progn definition.) t)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)()
  handler-bind-1(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)
(error) eval-expression--debug)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (void-variable number) :backtrace-base eval-expression--debug)
  eval-expression--debug((void-variable number))
  (* 7 number)
  (progn (* 7 number))
  eval((progn (* 7 number)) t)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)()
  handler-bind-1(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x18675df5af7f>)
(error) eval-expression--debug)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-android21) of
 2025-04-29 built on xeon
Repository revision: 825ea052ad5638c056037c4cac92c9e666dc3820
Windowing system distributor 'Xiaomi', version 34.0.0
System Description:
Redmi/sunstone_global/sunstone:14/UKQ1.240624.001/OS2.0.1.0.UMQMIXM:user/release-keys

Configured using:
 'configure --with-png=yes --with-webp=yes --with-gif=yes
 --with-jpeg=yes --with-xml2=yes --with-sqlite3=yes --with-gnutls=yes
 --with-tiff=yes --with-selinux=yes --with-modules=yes
 --with-tree-sitter=yes --with-imagemagick=no --with-lcms2=yes
 --with-mailutils= --with-pop=no-by-default --with-harfbuzz=yes
 --with-threads=yes --with-rsvg=yes --enable-check-lisp-object-type=
 --cache-file=config_cache.1 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -Werror=implicit-function-declaration''

Configured features:
GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  modifier-bar-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Documents/packages/rainbow/rainbow-delimiters hides
/data/data/org.gnu.emacs/files/.emacs.d/elpa/rainbow-delimiters-2.1.5/rainbow-delimiters

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils ielm pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring kmacro thingatpt vc-git diff-mode track-changes files-x
vc-dispatcher elec-pair face-remap help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug
backtrace help-mode find-func time-date mule-util info
display-line-numbers init finder-inf rainbow-delimiters easy-mmode
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cus-start cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel android-win
term/common-win touch-screen ls-lisp tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting
android multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125782 40750) (symbols 48 10611 0) (strings 32 34048 1974)
 (string-bytes 1 800690) (vectors 16 20310)
 (vector-slots 8 196436 9107) (floats 8 51 153) (intervals 56 4321 0)
 (buffers 992 18))

Sent from Gmail