Subject: 30.1; Please rename function `object-intervals' or add an alias for it

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 17:52:34 +0000

`object-intervals' is a horrible name for what this does/returns.
Someone looking for a function with this behavior will not look for
"intervals", and most assuredly not for "object".

I'm sure you won't rename this, but please consider adding a useful
alias for it.

The doc string for this just tells you that it returns a copy of the
text properties of the string or buffer.  Unlike the manual, it doesn't
even say anything about intervals.

Clearly, two different things are meant by the "text properties" of the
OBJECT, between the doc for `text-properties-at' and `object-intervals',
for instance.  It's OK for this function's doc to mention intervals, but
that shouldn't be in the function name.

The name of `object-intervals' should just be something like
`text-property-intervals'.

The doc would then need only to say that it returns a new list (a copy).
In fact, it doesn't even need to say that, as there's no list of
text-property intervals that it could return by sharing - a new list is
the only possibility.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2025-02-23
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.26100
Configured using:
 `configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2
 prefix=/g/rel/install/emacs-30.1'